500 Startups and UC Berkeley Law, in collaboration with
DEAL CAMP AT BERKELEY
February 11-14, 2019
Deal Camp is a four-day course focused on the nuts and bolts of deal making for investors who want to improve their ability to define, negotiate, and execute early-stage investments. Participants will work with leading UC Berkeley faculty and 500 Partners to develop strategies to structure deals in order to maximize investment returns.
Join our list to learn more about our programs.
Who Should Apply
Angel investors, VCs, fund managers and attorneys looking to improve their ability to define, negotiate, and execute early stage investments.
The four day program of densely scheduled lectures and workshops take place on the UC Berkeley Campus.
The program fee is $9,200 and covers tuition, all course materials, and most meals. Travel and accommodations are not included. Discounted rate available for VC Unlocked and UC Berkeley alumni.
We accept qualified candidates on a rolling basis and space is limited, so we encourage you to apply early.
What to expect
In four days, dive headfirst into the nuts and bolts of deal-making with leading UC Berkeley Law faculty, 500 Startups Partners and other top VCs in the Valley.
- Get feedback on your investment thesis and investment filter from 500 Startups partners and your fellow program participants
- Jump into the action! Apply your framework while screening real startup pitches from 500 Startups' portfolio
- Understand the Venture Funding Lifecycle
- Explore the role of Venture Capital in Corporate Finance and Business Strategy
- Participate in a workshop on seed financing, due diligence, terms, and the deal process
- Perfect the art of the valuation and understand its impact on deal terms and startup growth
- Analyze what makes a good deal vs. a bad deal
- Understand the key differences between convertible security and priced round term sheets
- Practice negotiating with startups in simulated exercises
- Decipher and dominate cap tables
- Come up with an exit strategy for investments in the workshop on Priced Venture Financing, M&A and IPOs
- Set the stage for future success by learning how manage in your startup ecosystem
Walk away with a Certificate from UC Berkeley Law, a new network, and the knowledge and confidence you need to make better investments.
**Berkeley Law certifies that this activity has been approved for 16 hours MCLE credit by the State Bar of California.
Top Silicon Valley VCs and 500 Startups partners with thematic expertise are invited to teach sessions throughout the program. Past and future lecturers include:
What Past Participants Have Said
Whether you’re considering starting a fund or have already done so, VC Unlocked is a tremendous help. From fine-tuning an investment thesis to validating cap tables and negotiating term sheets, there really is something for everyone. The team put together a powerhouse lineup of speakers including the 500 executives themselves, some of the other most prominent VC firms in the valley, and great faculty representation from UC Berkeley. I’d recommend VC Unlocked to anyone remotely serious about venture capital.
VC Unlocked is a truly great program combining both an academic and practical approach to venture investing. It provides insight into the decision-making processes of some of Silicon Valley’s top VCs and also introduces newer investors to the foundations and basics of evaluating, structuring, and executing investments. Having a chance to learn with classmates from around the world provided a unique global experience. I’d highly recommend the course for new fund managers or investment professionals looking to accelerate their VC knowledge.
The VC Unlocked was essential for me as a tech lawyer. I gained insider tips on the dynamics of the top VC and industry leaders in Silicon Valley. The program provides a comprehensive overview of the venture capital investment cycle, talks on the latest practices and trends in the startup world, and workshops on structuring legal documents such as term sheets and convertible notes.
VC Deal Camp brought together an international cohort of early stage investors all curious to learn the secrets of Silicon Valley and share their local challenges. The course combined the academic power of Berkeley Law faculty and the real world experience of 500 startups and a number of notable VCs. I would highly recommend this course to anyone working with early stage startups.